The Social Work Alumni Network (SWAN) offers opportunities to fulfill continuing education requirements, to network with other social workers in your area of practice and/or geographic area, and to stay connected to the Steve Hicks School of Social Work through special events.
All social work graduates of The University of Texas at Austin are considered members of SWAN. Membership is automatic upon graduation and there are no dues or fees for membership. Currently, there is an active Austin chapter. Chapters at El Paso and other Texas locations are in the process of being established.
Charles I. Wright Distinguished Alumni of the Year Award Nomination
Each year, SWAN and the Steve Hicks School of Social Work select one of our distinguished alumni to honor at commencement with the Charles I. Wright Distinguished Alumni of the Year Award.
- 2019 Ramón Gómez, MSSW ’01
- 2018 Brian Jaklich, MSSW ’88
- 2017 Shane Whalley, MSSW ’03
- 2016 Becky Morales, MSSW ’03
- 2015 Terri Spahr Nelson, MSSW ’88, BSW ’87
- 2014 Ruth McRoy, PhD ’81
- 2013 Susan Milam, PhD ’94, MSSW ’83
- 2012 Wally Wingfield, MSSW ’83
- 2011 Andrea Colunga Bussey, MSSW ’93, BSW ’82
Previous awardees: 2009 L. Sue Hoffman; 2008 Dan Adams and Eric Metcalf; 2007 Mary Rychlik; 2005 Robert Girling, III and Bettie Girling; 2004 Amy Chandler; 2003 Deborah K. Webb; 2002 Diane Hardy-Garcia; 2001 Nancy Crowther; 2000 Ruth Howard and Joe Jenkins; 1999 Deena Mersky; 1998 Kathy T. Rider; 1997 Karen Haynes; 1996 Elliott Naishtat; 1995 Barbara Davis; 1994 James Payne; 1992 Augustus (Gus) Swain; 1991 Ronald Jackson; 1990 Charles Wright.
SWAN Student Scholarship
Each year, SWAN awards scholarships to deserving social work students. Recent awardees include:
- 2019 Maryam Jelvehi Moghaddam
- 2018 Africa Ibarra, Aranda Salazar, James Rowell
- 2017 Jessi Duran, Jodi Kozelsky, Carly Turner, Samantha Weaver
- 2016 Marilyn Adams, Sara Goodman, Savannah Cipriano, Angelica Clark, Abigail Oduro
- 2015 Maya Williams and Samantha Synett
- 2014 Stephanie Glass
- 2013 Lindsey Peters
- 2012 Grace Weiss
- 2011 Elizabeth Culbertson