Working at the Steve Hicks School
Explore employment options at the Steve Hicks School for current undergraduate and graduate students.
Student Employment Information
Work as a Research Assistant (RA) or Graduate Research Assistant (GRA)
- BSW, MSSW and PhD students wishing to be considered for RA or GRA positions must have a completed Research Assistant form on file with the Office of the Associate Dean for Research.
- Decisions about RA and GRA positions are made by individual faculty members with funded research projects.
- Explore existing research projects and the faculty members who lead them.
- For more information, please contact the Office of the Associate Dean for Research.
Additional information for:
- Search available work-study jobs at the Steve Hicks School on HireUTexas.
Work as a Teaching Assistant (TA) or Graduate Assistant (GA)
- A limited number of TA and GA positions are available in increments of 5 to 20 hours a week.
- MSSW students wishing to be considered for TA or GA positions must have an updated Financial Support Application (FSA) on file.
Work as a Teaching Assistant (TA) or Assistant Instructor (AI)
- PhD students must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 to be considered for TA and AI positions.
- The Graduate Program Coordinator sends periodical emails about available TA and AI positions. Interested students should respond to these e-mails.
- Positions are awarded according to the following priorities:
- TA positions: priority to students in the first three years of the program.
- AI positions: priority to students who completed their course work, completed Pedagogy (SW 398T), not taught previously and can demonstrate preparation for teaching.
- Overall priority to students who are on schedule to complete their degree in four years.