Our Story

The Graduate School of Social Work at The University of Texas at Austin opened its doors to students in the Fall of 1950. The only school of its kind in Texas, it offered a two-year program with the goal of educating outstanding professional social workers who could meet the demand for qualified personnel in social service agencies across the state.

  • In 1967 the school added an undergraduate, professional degree with a concentration in social work.
  • In 1974, the school opened a doctoral program with the goal of producing social work scientists, educators, scholars, and leaders in the field.
  • In 2017, a transformative gift from Mr. Steve Hicks, UT Regent and telecommunications pioneer, named the Steve Hicks School of Social Work.

Together, our faculty, students and alumni produce new knowledge and deliver public-spirited service that transforms lives on a grand scale and fulfills the university’s promise that “what starts here changes the world.” 

The University, in its rightful role as a pioneer in Texas education, will penetrate a long-neglected field when the School of Social Work opens its doors.

Daily Texan editorial, 1950
Video Thumbnail
A watershed in our history
The Steve Hicks School of Social Work has been established at The University of Texas at Austin with a generous gift from UT Regent and telecommunications pioneer