Incoming and Newly Admitted MSSW Students
Congratulations on your admission to the master’s program at the Steve Hicks School of Social Work at The University of Texas at Austin. We are delighted to have you as part of the incoming class.
Please check this page on a regular basis as content is updated periodically.
Looking for a student perspective? Get in touch with a current MSSW student to learn about their experience at the Steve Hicks School and ask any questions you may have.
Important dates – Fall 2021
- August 18-19:
- August 20-24:
- August 23-24:
For incoming students in the 2-year program: Field Engagement Seminar (more information coming soon)
- August 25:
First day of classes
- August 30:
Tuition due by 5 p.m. CST
- Submit current health and immunization records to the university.
- Submit final transcripts to be able to register for classes.
- Read the NASW Code of Ethics.
- Read the Texas Board of Social Work Examiners’s Code of Conduct.
- Read the Steve Hicks School’s Student Standards for Social Work Education.
- Read the MSSW student handbook.
- Register with Services for Students with Disabilities if you need accommodations for classes and exams.
Before school starts
- Obtain UT EID.
- Register for DUO multi-factor authentication to be able to access university online services.
- Sign up for a UTmail account.
- Download and install UT Zoom.
- Obtain UT ID card.
- Obtain IT prepaid account for printing privileges.
- Obtain a parking permit if you plan to park on campus.
- Buy Social Workers’ Desk Reference (Oxford University Press). You will be given a promo code at orientation.
- Visit the campus Computer Store for discounts on computers or software.
- Malpractice liability insurance: Students entering the 2-year program will receive a letter about this from the Office of Field Education before orientation.
- International students: Begin the new international student check-in with Texas Global.
More to Explore
We’re proud to call the bustling city of Austin our home. Get inspired by its vibrant music and arts scene, entrepreneurial spirit and surrounding natural beauty.
Find information about financial aid, fellowships, scholarships and other financial resources.
Housing and roomates
Tips and guides for off-campus living resources, including housing and roomate searches.