- Why the Steve Hicks School
- Academic Programs
Since 1950, the The University of Texas at Austin — the flagship institution of The University of Texas System — has been producing outstanding professional social workers to serve Texas and the nation.
Provide national leadership to promote social and economic justice, alleviate critical social problems and enhance human well-being.
Our Core Values
- We believe professional ethics and integrity are at the core of social work, and the values, principles, and standards that are set forth in the National Association of Social Workers Code of Ethics should guide, as applicable, the conduct of our faculty, staff, and students.
- We believe we should adhere to the highest standards of excellence in our teaching, research, scholarship, and service activities.
- We believe we should work to promote social justice and social change, and should strive to end discrimination, oppression, poverty, and other forms of social injustice.
- We believe that the attainment of our mission requires a high regard for the worth of each person and our collective potential, and that the dissemination of knowledge is enhanced by the presence of cultural and ethnic diversity in our classrooms.
- We believe that, in order to enhance the social work knowledge-base, the attainment of our mission requires critical thinking, professional development, and meaningful scholarship. As we improve our ability to transmit this knowledge to students and others effectively, we are better able to alleviate suffering and to promote social justice in the communities we serve.
Why Choose Social Work?
Social work is a unique profession rich with meaning, action, and the power to make a difference.