Research Associate Professor; Director, Institute for Military and Veteran Family Wellness
Elisa V. Borah, MSW, PhD is a research associate professor at the Steve Hicks School of Social Work. Elisa conducts research around the development, testing and effective implementation of mental health treatments and social supports for adults and children. Her research currently focuses on improving mental health treatment access for transition-age youth through better client engagement, and with the Texas Health and Human Services Commission, she works to implement a state program to provide community-based health supports for adults with serious mental illness.
Elisa also conducts research to identify and evaluate programming and supports for military members, veterans, spouses and their families. She leads the Institute for Military and Veteran Family Wellness, a joint initiative of the Dell Medical School Department of Psychiatry and the Steve Hicks School of Social Work. In 2015, she developed the Veteran Spouse Network, initially funded through an Engagement Award from the Patient Centered Outcome Research Institute, that engages veteran spouses in defining programmatic and research needs to better support veteran families in Texas. Elisa also studies how peer support can improve veterans’ and veteran spouses’ quality of life and improved mental health, and the delivery of PTSD treatment with veteran couples in group settings. Elisa chairs the annual Military Social Work conference at The University of Texas at Austin. She previously served as director of research at the Ft. Hood site of the STRONG STAR PTSD Research Consortium, a Department of Defense research consortium at UT Health San Antonio.
Curriculum Vitae (PDF)
Military social work, behavioral health, evidence-based interventions for PTSD.
- Ph.D., University of Texas at Austin
- M.S.W., George Warren Brown School of Social Work
- B.A., Washington University
- Targeted Strategies to Accelerate EBP Implementation in Military Settings (TACTICS) (2024)
- Spouse Resiliency Group Leader Training and Program Delivery (2019)
- Group Treatment for Veteran Couples Experiencing PTSD (2019)
- Veteran Spouse Network (2018)
- Strong Families at the Steven A. Cohen Military Family Clinic at Metrocare (2018)
- Home and community-based services – Adult mental health implementation support (2018)
- A study of military cultural competency training with Seton (2018)
- Veterans Network Evaluation (2015)
John W. Hargis Hall (JHH)Room:2.118
Mailing AddressThe University of Texas at Austin
Steve Hicks School of Social Work
1823 Red River St. 2.118
Austin, TX 78712