Washington Calling is a week-long career development seminar for Steve Hicks School undergraduate, graduate and doctoral students.
Students spend a week in Washington, D.C., meeting alumni, exploring federal internship opportunities and learning about job prospects in policy, advocacy, clinical work and professional organizations.
How to apply
- Be enrolled at the Steve Hicks School of Social Work at the time of application.
- Ineligible to graduate before May of the year you are applying to participate in Washington Calling.
All application materials must be electronically submitted to the DiNitto Career Center, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Completed Washington Calling application (available here when applications open).
- Current resume.
- One letter of recommendation from a Steve Hicks School faculty member
- One letter of recommendation from UT Austin faculty or staff, or current/former supervisor.
- A 700-1000 word essay addressing the following: 1) How a learning experience in Washington, D.C. would fit in with your educational and career goals; 2) What specific advocacy issue(s) are you most passionate about and how would you advocate for them in Washington? 3) Why do you think it is important for social workers to work in Washington, D.C.?