Application to the PhD program requires admission to both UT Austin Graduate School and the Steve Hicks School. A single online application is needed.
Admission to the PhD program is competitive. We encourage early application.
We welcome applications from all persons regardless of race, sex, color, religious affiliation, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, or ability. We consider these aspects during admission: human services motivation, academic potential, interpersonal effectiveness, capacity for sustained effort, communication skills and contribution to a diverse student body.
Before you apply
Let us help you decide if our doctoral program is the right fit for you:
- Master’s degree from accredited school of social work or related field with extensive experience in human services.
- GPA of 3.00 or above in upper-division (junior and senior) courses and in any completed graduate work.
- Minimum grade of B on a college or above statistics course. Research methods courses do not fulfill this requirement.
- International applicants from countries with primary language other than English: scores for TOEFL (minimum of 100, 25 in each section preferred) and TSE, or TOEFL-iBT. We do not accept IELTS.
- Show capacity for advanced academic work and potential for scholarship.
- Demonstrate excellent writing and analytic skills, show evidence of research interests and capabilities.
- Access the online application page.
- See required materials and instructions on how to submit them.
Application deadline is December 15. The Admissions Committee begins the review of applications at that time and continues until the incoming cohort is full. Applicant files not complete by this deadline may not be reviewed.
After you apply
All applicants are notified electronically of admission decisions as soon as they are finalized. You will be notified if you are admitted, denied, or on a wait list. We strive for a cohort of approximately six PhD students per year.
Please visit this Graduate School’s page for more information.