Doctoral Program Admissions
Application to the PhD program requires admission to both UT Austin Graduate School and the Steve Hicks School. A single online application is needed.
Admission to the PhD program is competitive. We encourage early application.
We welcome applications from all persons regardless of race, sex, color, religious affiliation, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, or ability. We consider these aspects during admission: human services motivation, academic potential, interpersonal effectiveness, capacity for sustained effort, communication skills and contribution to a diverse student body.
Let us help you decide if our doctoral program is the right fit for you:
- Learn more about the Steve Hicks School.
- Request a PhD in Social Work Program information packet.
- Browse the PhD Program pages on this website.
- See facts and figures about Steve Hicks School doctoral students.
- Learn more about UT Austin by visiting the Graduate School pages.
- Visit Texas One Stop to find information about tuition rates, cost of attendance, financial aid and more.
- Visit the admissions page of the Graduate School to find specific application information for graduate students.
- Contact the Graduate Program Coordinator with questions or to schedule a visit, email@example.com
- Master’s degree from accredited school of social work or related field with extensive experience in human services.
- GPA of 3.00 or above in upper-division (junior and senior) courses and in any completed graduate work.
- Minimum grade of B on a college or above statistics course. Research methods courses do not fulfill this requirement.
- International applicants from countries with primary language other than English: scores for TOEFL (minimum of 100, 25 in each section preferred) and TSE, or TOEFL-iBT. We do not accept IELTS.
- Show capacity for advanced academic work and potential for scholarship.
- Demonstrate excellent writing and analytic skills, show evidence of research interests and capabilities.
- The GRE score requirement is waived for the Fall 2023-2024 application cycle.
- Access the online application page.
- See required materials and instructions on how to submit them.
- See the special instructions for doctoral program applicants
The deadline to submit all application materials is November 18. Applicant files not complete by this deadline will not be reviewed.
All applicants are notified electronically of admission decisions as soon as they are finalized. You will be notified if you are admitted, denied, or on a wait list. We strive for a cohort of approximately six PhD students per year.
Please visit this Graduate School’s page for more information.
PhD Informational Meetings
Come to one of our PhD information meetings and learn about the program and the admission process. All meetings are in Central Time and last 90 minutes.
- Please sign up for the info session you want to attend by clicking on the RSVP link below.
- The RSVPs close 1 hour before each information session.
- Please direct any questions about the info sessions to the PhD Graduate Coordinator, Monica Urso.
|Thursday, July 20th||5pm CST|
|Thursday, August 3rd||12pm CST|
|Thursday, September 21st||5pm CST|