Texas Admissions is UT Austin’s gateway for all prospective students. Whether you are a first-year student, a student transferring from another university, a former UT student seeking readmission or an international undergraduate, Texas Admissions has all the information you need to be admitted to the university.
The University of Texas at Austin is responsible for the admission and readmission of all undergraduate students; the Steve Hicks School of Social Work is not involved in the application or selection process. There is no separate application for admission to the social work major.
Please note: Current UT Austin undergraduate students who want to transfer to the social work major or add social work as a second major must complete our internal transfer application, not the Texas Admissions application. See more information below.
Are you considering a social work major at UT Austin?
Come to one of the Steve Hicks School information sessions. You will learn about the program, internship requirements, study abroad options and career opportunities in social work. A Q&A will follow the presentation.
Please note that these sessions do not cover admissions requirements. All sessions are virtual and last 60 minutes. RSVP is required to receive log-in instructions.
Internal Transfer Students
UT Austin undergraduates wishing to transfer to the Steve Hicks School or add social work as a major must complete academic requirements and complete the online application. Students wanting to meet with a BSW advisor before admission to the major must attend an info session first.
All info sessions are virtual and last 60 minutes. RSVP is required to receive log-in instructions.
Students with over 90 hours or a completed degree in another college or school are encouraged to consider other options, such as pursuing a master’s degree in social work.
Academic requirements for internal transfers
- Completion of at least 12 hours in-residence.
- Credit earned by exam, correspondence, and extension may not be counted toward this requirement.
- A cumulative in-residence GPA of 2.00 or above.
- Completion of SW 310 Intro to Social Work and Social Welfare with a grade of at least C.
- Current enrollment in courses during time of application is permitted. Grades will be checked at the end of the semester.
- All other social work coursework completed prior to admission of the major must be completed with a grade of at least C.
Application deadlines for internal transfers
Spring admission: December 1, 11:59PM
Fall admission: May 1, 11:59PM