The PhD in Social Work Program requires admission to both The University of Texas at Austin Graduate School and the Steve Hicks School of Social Work.
A single, online application is required to apply to both.
- Obtain an electronic ID (EID) from The University of Texas at Austin.
- Access the online application (EID required).
- When completing the online application, you will be asked to submit the following materials:
- A Statement of Purpose (instructions and prompt available in the online application.
- A copy of a publication or other academic writing sample that is representative of your writing and critical thinking skills.
- 3 letters of reference, submitted electronically by the writer of the reference. When completing the online application, you will be given the opportunity to list the name, position, organization and email address for recommenders. Emails will be sent to them with instructions.
- A copy of your most recent curriculum vitae.
- A non-refundable application fee. See information about fees, payment methods and waivers.
- Official transcripts, including a transcript demonstrating completion of an undergraduate or graduate level statistics course with a grade of B or higher. See information about valid transcripts and how to submit them.
- International applicants from countries with a primary language other than English should request an official copy of TOEFL or TOEFL-iBT scores be sent electronically to the Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC)