Application to the PhD program requires admission to both the Graduate School of the Steve Hicks School of Social Work. Admission to the PhD degree program is competitive and early application is encouraged.
When application materials are received by the Graduate School, an applicant file is created and processing begins. After a Graduate Social Work Admission Committee review, the Steve Hicks School of Social Work graduate advisor forwards a recommendation for admission to the vice provost and dean of graduate studies at the university. While the Graduate School generally follows the recommendation made by the Steve Hicks School of Social Work, official acceptance into any graduate program requires the approval of the dean of the Graduate School. Applicants should expect to receive notification from both the Graduate School and the Steve Hicks School of Social Work. Learn more about the review process here.
Before beginning the application process, please review minimum admission requirements here.
How to Apply
To apply for the PhD program you must complete the online application. See a checklist with description of required materials here (PDF). Scroll down for details about how to complete the online application.
- To access the online application page you must have an electronic ID (EID) provided by the university. Obtain your EID here.
- Once you obtain the electronic EID, you can access the online application page here. Please read carefully and complete all sections of the online application.
- You will need to upload the following materials:
- Personal narrative statement (instructions and prompt available in the online application)
- One copy of publication or other written documents that are representative of academic or professional work
- Letters of reference (3 required, 5 preferred). These letters are submitted electronically by the writer of the reference
- Current resume
- Non-refundable application fee: $65 for U.S. citizens or permanent residents; $90 for international applicants
- Official copy of transcripts in PDF format. See instructions for uploading transcripts here (PDF).
- International applicant only: Complete and upload certification of financial responsibility form
- You will need to request the following documentation to be sent electronically to the Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC)
- An official copy of your GRE score from ETS. When taking the GRE General Test, have your score report sent to The University of Texas at Austin (code 6882). If you have already taken the GRE, you can request a score report to be sent to GIAC by calling ETS at 1-888-GRE-SCORE. Please note: ETS will not report GRE scores completed over five years ago. Only test scores mailed directly from the testing agency are considered official.
- Only if international applicant whose first language is not English: an official copy of your TOEFL-IBT or IELTS Score Report. Please note: TOEFL scores over two years old will not be accepted. Only test scores mailed directly from the testing agency are considered official.
Dates and Deadlines
The priority deadline for submitting application materials for fall admission to the school is December 15. The Admission Committee begins the review of applications at that time and continues until the incoming cohort is full. The school is not obligated to review applicant files that are not complete by the priority deadline. Learn more about the review process here.
- Questions regarding Graduate School admission should be directed to The University of Texas at Austin Graduate School, (512) 475-7390.
- Questions about application status should be directed to the Steve Hicks School of Social Work Admissions Office, (512) 471-7482
Contact Information and Helpful LinksPROSPECTIVE STUDENT INFORMATION (BEFORE YOU APPLY): Office of Student and Community Affairs Ramon Gomez, MSSW (512) 471-9819 Local (877) 875-7352 Toll-free email@example.com
PROSPECTIVE STUDENT INFORMATION (AFTER YOU APPLY): Sherry Melecki, Graduate Program Coordinator for PhD Students (512) 471-3925 Local firstname.lastname@example.org