Admission to the MSSW program is competitive and early application is encouraged. Although application to the MSSW program requires admission to both The University of Texas at Austin Graduate School and the Steve Hicks School of Social Work; only the social work online application is required.
When application materials have been received, an applicant file is created and processing begins. After a Graduate Social Work Admission Committee review, the Steve Hicks School of Social Work graduate advisor forwards a recommendation for admission to the vice provost and dean of graduate studies at the university. While the Graduate School generally follows the recommendation made by the Steve Hicks School of Social Work, official acceptance into any graduate program requires the approval of the dean of the graduate school. Applicants should expect to receive notification from both the Graduate School and the Steve Hicks School of Social Work. Learn more about the review process here.
How to Apply
To apply for the MSSW program you must:
- Complete the online social work application, upload required materials, and request required materials to be sent to the Graduate and International Admission Center (GIAC). See a checklist with description of required materials here (PDF). See detailed instructions below.
How to Complete the Online Social Work Application
- To complete the application you must have an electronic ID (EID) provided by the university. Obtain your EID here.
- Once you obtain the electronic EID, you can access the online application page here. Please read carefully and complete all sections of the online social work application.
- You will need to upload the following materials:
- Personal narrative statements. See instructions and prompt for each statement here (PDF).
- Documentation of completed prerequisite course work (statistics, liberal arts, and behavioral sciences)
- Letters of reference (3 required, 5 preferred). These letters are submitted electronically by the writer of the reference.
- Current resume
- International students only: Complete and upload certification of financial responsibility form
- Non-refundable application fee: $65 for U.S. citizens and permanent residents; $90 for international applicants
- Official transcripts See instructions for uploading transcripts here (PDF).
- You will need to request the following documentation to be sent electronically to the Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC):
- International applicant whose first language is not English: an official copy of your TOEFL-IBT or IELTS Score Report. Please note: TOEFL scores over two years old will not be accepted. Only test scores mailed directly from the testing agency are considered official
Dates and Deadlines
The Steve Hicks School of Social Work does not review applicant files until all materials have been received. Read more about the review process here.
Fall or Summer Admission:
- For fall or summer admission, the priority deadline for submitting application materials to the Steve Hicks School of Social Work is November 15, and the final deadline is January 15. Any applications remaining incomplete after the final deadline of January 15 will be at risk of not being reviewed for admission.
- The Admission Committee begins the review of applications at that time and continues until the incoming class is full. For this reason, early application is encouraged. The school is not obligated to review applicant files that are not complete by the final deadline.
- Programs that offer fall admission are 2-year, 3-year, and 3.5-year options.
- Summer admission is for the 1-year post BSW option only.
- For spring admission, the final deadline for submitting application materials to the Steve Hicks School of Social Work is October 1. Due to an anticipated increase in the number of applications, it is recommended that all applications be completed by the final deadline of October 1. Any applications remaining incomplete after the final deadline will be at risk of not being reviewed for admission.
- Spring admission is for the 1.5-year post BSW option only.
- Questions regarding Graduate School admission should be directed to The University of Texas at Austin Graduate School (512) 475-7390.
- Questions about application status should be directed to the Steve Hicks School of Social Work Admissions Office, (512) 471-7482
Contact Information and Helpful LinksPROSPECTIVE STUDENT INFORMATION (BEFORE YOU APPLY): Office of Student and Community Affairs Ramón Gómez, MSSW (512) 471-9819 Local (877) 875-7352 Toll-free email@example.com
PROSPECTIVE STUDENT INFORMATION (AFTER YOU APPLY): School of Social Work Office of Graduate Admission Andrea Montgomery, LMSW (512) 471-7482 Local (877) 875-7352 Toll-free firstname.lastname@example.org