Background: First-generation immigrant from Chihuahua, Mexico
Interests: Helping low-income Latinx immigrant parents improve their parenting skills, particularly in families that are exposed to intense contextual challenges and stressors such as discrimination, poverty, and limited access to bilingual and culturally relevant resources.
Focus: Ruben Parra-Cardona has used the lessons learned during his work and research in the U.S. to collaborate with Mexican institutions and state governments in the implementation of prevention programs of research. He also works on the cultural evaluation of programs for survivors of intimate partner violence, as well as offenders. Finally, he is strongly committed to mentoring students interested in working with underserved populations.
- First job: Selling cell phones
- Favorite book in college: Psychology Liberation
- Favorite movie: The Mission
- Favorite song: It’s My Life by Bon Jovi
- Favorite type of music: Hip-Hop
- Favorite spot on campus: The Tower