Credit cards and checks

Gifts can be made with credit cards or checks. These gifts can be made as one-time gifts, or they can be set up as pledges, which are paid over time.

Credit cards: To make a gift or set up a pledge by credit card, please visit our online giving site.

Checks: Please make checks payable to The University of Texas at Austin and indicate your gift’s purpose in the memo line. You can mail your check to:

University Development Office
1 University Station
Mail Stop A3000
Austin, TX 78712


With an endowed gift, you provide permanent support for the university. An endowed gift is:

  • A sound investment: An endowed gift is invested, never spent. Each year a distribution — like dividends on a mutual fund account — is made to your chosen program or area. Investment earnings above the dividend rate help the endowment value grow over time, to keep pace with inflation and maintain your endowment’s spending power.
  • A choice you make: Your gift can take almost any form. From professorships to scholarships and more, choosing what your endowed gift will support is simply a matter of talking with us about your interests and finding (or creating) a program that matches them
  • An ever-growing legacy: You may take up to five years to fund an endowment to the minimum required level. Once it is officially established, you or anyone else may continue to add to its principal at any time.
  • A lasting imprint: By selecting the title of your endowment, you forever link your name — or that of a family member, friend, or organization — to scholarly excellence at The University of Texas at Austin.

To find out more about creating an endowment, contact the Development Office(512) 232-8376.

Planned or estate gifts

Planned gifts, also known as future gifts or estate gifts, allow donors to accomplish their charitable goals through bequests, retirement plan assets and charitable trusts. Some of these gifts allow you to support the Steve Hicks School of Social Work, receive tax benefits and sustain your current lifestyle.

A planned gift can be structured as a one-time gift, can be used to fund a lasting endowment or can be a combination.  For more information, visit the University’s Gift & Estate Planning page.

To learn more about making a planned gift, contact the Development Office(512) 232-8376.

Employer matching gifts

You may be able to double or even triple your gift to The University of Texas at Austin. Many employers sponsor matching gift programs to match charitable contributions made by their employees. To find out if your company does, check our matching service or visit your company’s human resources department. Complete the form provided by your company and mail it to:

The University of Texas at Austin
University Development Office
Matching Gift Coordinator
P.O. Box 7458
Austin, Texas 78713-7458
Phone: 800-687-4602
Fax: 512-475-7743

Gifts of stock

Gifts of appreciated securities and closely held stock can be extremely beneficial — both to you and the Steve Hicks School of Social Work. You may receive an income-tax deduction equal to the fair market value of the securities, as well as reduce or eliminate capital gains taxes. Gifts of stock and mutual funds are coordinated by the UT System Office of Development and Gift Planning Services. Proceeds from the sale of these assets are directed to any program you wish.

Please contact the UT System Office at 512-499-4300 for more information.

Payroll deduction for UT Employees

UT employees can give to the Steve Hicks School of Social Work through payroll deduction. Log on to UT Direct using your EID and password, and select Social Work as your gift area.

Payroll deduction for a gift made by the 15th of the month will begin the following month; e.g., the first deduction for a gift made on June 10 will appear on your July 1 paycheck. Payroll deduction for a gift made after the 15th of the month will begin the second month following the gift; e.g., the first deduction for a gift made on June 20 will appear on your August 1 paycheck. The deductions will be reflected in your Payroll Earnings Statement under “Charitable Contributions.”

For questions about Payroll Deduction, contact the Development Office.