Steve Hicks School Spring 2023 Commencement
Details regarding the SHS and university-wide Commencement, to be held on Saturday, May 6, 2023, will be shared in early 2023 for graduates.
Friday, March 3rd: Deadline to purchase Doctoral Regalia
- Friday, March 31st: Deadline to rent Doctoral Regalia
- Friday, April 14th: Deadline for purchasing Masters Regalia, Deadline for purchasing Undergraduate Regalia
- Monday, April 24th: Graduate Procession Tickets Available
- Thursday, May 4th at 5pm: Deadline for Graduate Procession Ticket Pick-up, Commencement Rehearsal at DKR-TMS
- Thursday March 23rd: Names for Faculty participating in the Regalia Loan Program Due to UE
- Monday, March 27th: Unclaimed Faculty Regalia Loan Packages Released to Waiting List
- Friday, March 31st: Deadline to rent Faculty Regalia
- Thursday, April 27th – Wednesday, May 3rd: Faculty Regalia Loan Program Pick-up Period
- Thursday, May 4th at 5pm: Commencement Rehearsal at DKR-TMS
Frequently Asked Questions
Do graduates and/or guests require ticketing for attendance?
The Steve Hicks School of Social Work (SHS) does not require tickets for graduates or their guests.
Is there a guest limit?
No, there is no guest limit. Graduates may bring as many guests as they like, but please note that seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Do graduates and/or guests have to RSVP for the ceremony?
Graduates and guests are not required to RSVP.
Will the ceremony be live streamed?
The SHS convocation will not be live streamed. We encourage all graduates and their guests to celebrate in person with us.
Do I have to wear regalia in order to participate?
Regalia is traditionally worn during commencement, and we do encourage students to wear it.
Where can I purchase regalia?
Regalia can be purchased through the University Co-op. The Co-op also offers announcements and other graduation items.
Are tickets required for the University-Wide Commencement Ceremony*?
Tickets are required for graduates and guest attending the University-Wide Commencement Ceremony. For further information, please see the university-wide commencement website.
*The University-Wide Commencement Ceremony is hosted by UT Austin President Jay Hartzell and brings together graduates from all 18
degree-granting colleges and schools at the university. It is a separate event from the SHS commencement ceremony and, as each graduating class includes approximately 14,000 graduates, it is not possible to recognize students individually at this ceremony.
What time do I need to arrive for graduation?
Graduates should arrive no later than 1:30 pm. Please refer to the SHS Commencement page to find additional details.
What time can my guests arrive?
Doors will open for guests 45 minutes before the scheduled start time.
Will there be a sign language interpreting for the ceremony?
Yes, the University provides an interpreter for all ceremonies.
What is the process for identifying the MSSW Student Commencement
They are voted on by their peers. The Academic Advisor sends out an email calling for nominations and then the students vote.
What is the process for identifying the BSW Student Commencement
They are voted on by their peers. The Assistant Dean sends out an email calling for nominations and then the students vote.