The Steve Hicks School of Social Work Doctoral program welcomes candidates who display a personal and professional readiness to pursue graduate education and to strengthen the field of social work through research, scholarship and a commitment to social justice.
Admission to the PhD program is competitive and early application is encouraged. Application requires admission to both The University of Texas at Austin Graduate School and the Steve Hicks School of Social Work.
Applicants are reviewed and evaluated on the basis of their applicant file, which includes records of academic work, personal narrative statement, writing sample or publication, current resume, GRE scores,3-5 letters of recommendation.
What to do next?
- Download a fact-sheet (PDF) with information about the program and current student cohort
- Learn about current doctoral students
- Check our Frequently Asked Questions page
- Learn about admissions requirements for the PhD program
- Check this list of steps before you apply
- Still more questions? Check the PhD Program Student Handbook (PDF)
- If you are ready to apply, read instructions for the PhD application process and find information about financial aid and possible sources of funding.
The Steve Hicks School of Social Work welcomes applications from all persons regardless of race, sex, color, religious affiliation, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, or ability. In order to maintain a dynamic student body, the following areas are given particular consideration in admission: human services motivation, academic potential, interpersonal effectiveness, capacity for sustained effort, communication skills, and contribution to a diverse student body.