Application to the MSSW program requires admission to both The University of Texas at Austin Graduate School and the Steve Hicks School of Social Work. Minimum requirements are as follows:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited United States institution or proof of equivalent training at an institution outside the United States.
- A grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.00 (on a 4.00 scale) in upper-division work (junior- and senior-level courses) and in any graduate work already completed.
- Graduate Record Examination General Test (GRE):
- Beginning with applications for Fall 2019 admission, the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is accepted but not required. Please note that applications with non-traditional transcripts or undergraduate upper division coursework GPAs below 3.0 may be strengthened by scores on the GRE. Consistent with Electronic Testing (ETS) reporting guidelines, The University of Texas at Austin Graduate School will not accept GRE scores completed over five years ago.
- Applicants for Spring or Summer 2019 admission may request a waiver for the GRE. To request a waiver, contact the Steve Hicks School of Social Work’s Office of Admissions after application submission.
- Adequate undergraduate preparation with a range of studies in the liberal arts and behavioral sciences.
- Successful completion of at least one introductory statistics course that covered inferential applications. The course must be taken for a letter grade and you must earn a C or better. It may be taken at your university, local community or junior college. This requirement can also be completed online. Follow this link for some examples of acceptable online courses.
Learn about additional admission requirements for: