Financing Your Education

Tuition and Fees

CampusDetails of tuition, fees, and deposits can be found in the General Information catalog or on the university’s Student Accounts Receivable website. Registration fees are payable by the posted dates. In general, the cost of enrollment depends on the student’s residence status and the number of hours for which he/she registers. Applicants should contact the university’s Admissions Center with questions concerning Texas residency.

Additional required and supplemental fees are charged for various university services and for some specific courses, including some graduate social work courses. The schedule of fees is given in the General Information catalog and in the Course Schedule. Tuition and fees are subject to change.

For up-to-date tuition rates, use the university’s Graduate Tuition Calculator.

Financial Aid

The primary sources of financial support for MSSW students are graduate fellowships administered by the university, graduate teaching and research assistantships administered by departments, and financial aid administered by the Office of Financial Aid.

The university’s Office of Financial Aid is the primary source for financial aid information. Although admission to the Graduate School must be granted before a financial aid application can be processed, you are encouraged to apply early regardless of admission status.

As an MSSW student, you may be eligible for guaranteed student loans, state public education grants, and university grants such as tuition and building-use waivers. In order to find out if you are eligible, you must complete a financial aid packet prepared by the OSFS. It is important to be aware of filing deadlines and to complete the applications carefully. Contact OSFS for information regarding a financial aid application. All student financial aid concerns and issues should be handled directly with OSFS. The recommended mailing deadline for financial aid applications is March 15 for the following academic year. In order to find out if you are eligible, you must complete and submit your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid.)

Upon graduation, if you work in a public service or non-profit job, you may qualify for the U.S. Department of Education Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.

Please note: For the master’s program in the Steve Hicks School of Social Work, full time for financial aid is considered 12 hours or more.

University Fellowships

The Office of Graduate Studies administers a small number of competitive fellowships that are awarded on the basis of departmental nomination. Selections are made on the basis of merit rather than need. Entering students are eligible for nomination for university fellowships. University fellowships provide a stipend, paid by the Graduate School, and some departmental support for tuition and fees. The number of fellowships is very limited.

Learn about Steve Hicks School of Social Work funding opportunities for MSSW students.