BSW students who have completed the pre-social work major requisites at the School may apply to the social work major. The School considers students for admission to the major twice a year, during the fall and spring semesters. Application requirements include:
- 45 semester-hours of coursework (including 30 in liberal arts)
- Minimum UT-Austin GPA of 2.0
- Minimum 2.5 GPA in social work prerequisite or equivalent courses
- Completion of the following courses with a “C” or higher:
- SW 310: Intro to Social Work and Social Welfare Practice
- SW 312: Generalist Social Work Practice
- SW 313: Social Work Research Methods
- SW 318: Social Work Statistics
- PSY 304 or HDF 313: Child Psychology/Child Development
- Emotional and professional readiness to work with clients
- A personal statement
- Two letters of recommendation
Please note that these are the minimum application requirements, and thus meeting them does not guarantee admission to the major.
The School of Social Work schedules informational meetings for students who have been advised to apply to the major. Specific instructions and application forms are provided during the informational meetings.
If you have any questions about applying for the social work major or want to schedule an informational meeting, please contact the BSW Academic Advisor, Alexis George, at firstname.lastname@example.org.