Jump to: Building safety and maintenanceComputer accounts/passwordsContinuing educationCopyright regulationsEmergency informationHuman subjects reviewInventoryKeysLearning Resource CenterLetterheadNondiscrimination policyTyping of extensive manuscripts policyPolitical activitiesRacial harassmentRecord retentionRepresenting the universityRoom requestsSexual harassment and misconductSmoking policySoftware licensingTaking equipment off campusToner cartridgesUT Identification CardUse of university facilities by outside groupsUse of university facilities, equipment or other resourcesVisitor parking permits

Building Safety and Maintenance

The school is committed to upholding all university safety regulations. Julie Cunniff is the school’s safety officer. The school’s building has a fire alarm system. Please evacuate the building immediately when the alarm goes off. Do not assume that it is merely a false alarm. Leave by the nearest exit and do not use the elevator. Fire extinguishers are located on every floor (most are located near exits). They are inspected regularly by university staff. The building is also equipped with several emergency alarms on every floor.

Call the UT Police at 471-4441 before opening suspicious packages or letters. Faculty, staff, and students working in the building during the evenings should lock their office doors while working. Call the UT Police, if you have a problem or need an escort to your vehicle late at night.

If you have any problems with building maintenance (lights, commode, AC or heat not working), please call the Dean’s Administrative Office staff. They will notify Facilities Services staff to take care of the problem. If you do contact them yourself, please notify the Dean’s Administrative Office since most of the maintenance workers contact this office first prior to checking on the problem. The trouble call number is 471-2020, which is available 24/7. Facilities Services needs the following information: building, location, contact name and EID, phone number, and a brief description of the problem.

Computer Accounts/Passwords
  • UT EID: All employees (faculty and staff) and students have an additional identifier, their UT EID (UT Electronic ID). This identifier is used for access to administrative Web applications such as UT Direct. Administrative Department contacts can administer the UT EID for employees. They can view the employee’s UT EID and initial password to let them know how to activate their UT EID and can reset their password if they forget theirs. Once the UT EID is activated, the department contacts no longer have access to your password. To obtain your high assurance UT EID, please visit http://www.utexas.edu/eid/.
  • Mainframe log-on ID: Mainframe Logon ID’s are used for the University Accounting System – Departmental Financial Network (DEFINE), access to Student Records (NRRECS), Alumni Records (VIP), and various other mainframe programs. Contact the Dean’s office to request a Mainframe Logon ID, establish logon time period limitations, and to request reset of a forgotten password for school personnel. Research personnel should contact the Office of the Associate Dean for Research.
Continuing Education

The school co-sponsors several workshops and conferences throughout the year. Co-sponsorship usually means that workshop participants can acquire Continuing Education Units (CEUs). CEUs can be used toward their social work certification. CEUs are issued by the school. A faculty member must agree to be the contact person at the school for the workshop and the Dean must authorize the co-sponsorship. Requests for co-sponsorship of a workshop must be approved by the Executive Committee and the Dean prior to the conference. In order to process this paperwork and the CEU request certificates, these forms should be completed at least 4 weeks prior to a workshop or conference. Please contact the Office of Professional Development.

Copyright Regulations

Copyright notice is no longer required by U.S. copyright law to insure that works published on or after March 1, 1989, are protected by copyright. The absence of a copyright notice on a work published after that date does not mean that it may be copied without restriction. Readers should assume that all copyrightable works are protected by the copyright law. A single copy of a protected work, made by an individual for purposes of academic coursework or research, is generally considered to be permitted under the “fair use” provisions of the law. Copyright Notice: “This work may be protected by the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code).” Steve Hicks School of Social Work Web statement: https://socialwork.utexas.edu/faculty-and-staff/resources/school/copyright-notice/

Emergency information

The Dean’s Administrative Office requires information on all faculty and staff in case of an emergency. Emergency information can be updated directly with Julie Cunniff or via a web form in the Dean’s Office home page. The Dean’s Administrative Office needs the name and phone number of at least two people who should be called in case of an emergency. Information on these forms is kept strictly confidential. Current home addresses and phone numbers of all faculty and staff are also kept by the Dean’s Administrative Office. If your address or phone number should change, or if you need to make a change to your Emergency form, please inform the Dean’s Administrative Office staff. Please remember to keep these forms current. At least once every year, the Dean’s Administrative Office staff need to use the information on these forms because of an emergency.

Human Subjects Review

Procedures for applying for the use of human subjects in research (Non-Exempt and Exempt/Expedited Proposals) can be found in the Office of Research Support and Compliance website. Please check this website for further information. If you have any other questions please contact the Office of the Associate Dean for Research.

  • Look at the memorandum on the front of the IRB folder for DRC/UT-IRB meeting/agendas deadlines for the time you wish your proposal to be reviewed by the IRB.
  • Read and review the policies and procedures governing research with human participants in this folder or on the website above.
  • Fill out the required forms in the packet and submit the forms and one copy of your proposal to Lana Pettit, Room 3.208 (471-0561) by the corresponding DRC deadline.
  • The IRB application will be reviewed by a primary and secondary reviewer on the Departmental Review Committee (DRC). The DRC reviews the project before it is sent over to the Office of Research Support and Compliance. After the DRC reviews the project, you will be notified if changes need to be made. If corrections need to be made, corrected forms need to be resubmitted ASAP so your proposal will be approved in time for the UT-Institutional Review Board’s agenda deadline.
  • Once the study is approved, you need to take 15 copies of the proposal and application forms plus the original to the Office of Research Support and Compliance by 5:00 p.m. on the date of the agenda deadline. You can either check with Lana to coordinate the delivery of your approved proposal to the Office of Research Support and Compliance or deliver your proposal personally to 2617 Speedway, Suite 201.
  • You will be notified by mail of the decision by the Office of Research Support and Compliance the week following the IRB meeting.
  • Exempt and expedited proposals do not have a departmental deadline for submittal, but please allow at least 3 weeks for departmental review, time to make any necessary changes if required and then time for review and final approval by the Office of Research Support and Compliance. Approval must be granted before research projects can be started.
  • Once the study is approved, you need to make 2 copies of the proposal and application forms. The original application is then sent to the Office of Research Support and Compliance. You can check with Lana to coordinate the delivery of your approved proposal to the Office of Research Support and Compliance.

The Steve Hicks School of Social Work follows the guidelines outlined in the Handbook of Business Procedures, Part 16.


To obtain a key to the social work building a key request letter must be given to the Dean’s Office by the supervisor of the person who needs the keys. Please provide the following information:

  • Student’s or new employee’s name
  • EID
  • Office room number

A key letter is then issued, and the person must take the key letter to the Locks and Keys Department in the Service Building in order to be issued keys. Most office door keys will also open the door to the suite so that only one key is needed. The building key is for after-hours access to the building and the mail room. When an individual changes offices or for some other reason no longer needs keys to a certain office, the keys should be returned to Locks and Keys. The school has a Master Key which opens every door in the building. If you are locked out of your office or need a key to a room for some other reason, please see the staff in the Dean’s Administrative Office.

Learning Resource Center (LRC)

The Learning Resource Center (LRC) is located in room 1.214A of SSW, and is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on weekdays. Evening and weekend operating hours are posted at the beginning of every semester and depend upon the availability of work-study students. Clay Shorkey is the director of the LRC. The LRC also employs several work-study students. The LRC is a collection of a variety of books, videos, and journals, many of which are not available in any other University library. The LRC keeps reserve readings for Social Work courses and has a state-of-the-art computer lab. The LRC also has excellent audio/visual equipment which can be used for classes and for other meetings and functions. If you need this equipment for a special date and time for a class, etc., please reserve it at the frontdesk. You may check on the availability at anytime without a reservation, but if both sets are already reserved, you will need to use the equipment at another time. This equipment is stored in a locked closet in the classroom area and keys for this storage area can be checked out in the LRC. Since the LRC does not have staff to set up equipment in classrooms for faculty use, please allow enough time before class to get and set up the equipment needed. It is also the responsibility of the faculty member to return the equipment to the appropriate AV closet and make sure the door is locked after returning the equipment. If help is needed in moving equipment, please ask for a volunteer from class.


The Steve Hicks School of Social Work has letterhead paper intended for specific purposes. Letterhead should only be used for official school business. If you have any doubts about when to use letterhead, please consult with the Dean. All letterhead must have official approval by the university under Policy Memorandum 6.504, found on the Handbook of Operating Procedures. Anything that can be construed as letterhead that has not been approved under this policy can bring official warning from the President’s Office.

Nondiscrimination Policy

Please refer to Handbook of Operating Procedures, policy number 4.B.1.

Typing of Extensive Manuscripts policy

All projects that will require extensive typing by a staff member must have prior approval of the Dean. An example of this would be the typing of a book.

Political Activities

Political activities are governed by the Handbook of Operating Procedures, Section 9.87.

Racial Harassment

Policy Memorandum 4.120 in the Handbook of Operating Procedures covers the university policy on race relations.

Record Retention

The Steve Hicks School of Social Work follows the guidelines given by the Office of Accounting’s Records Management Services, http://www.utexas.edu/business/accounting/retention/.

Representing The University

To find out what UT’s policy on representing the University is, please refer to Policy Memorandum 7.305 in the Handbook of Operating Procedures.

Room Requests

If you need to reserve a classroom for a meeting or other function in the social work building, please contact the Dean’s Administrative Office. The Dean’s Conference Room, OADR Conference Room, and Utopian Theatre can be reserved online.

Sexual Harassment and Misconduct

You can find UT’s policy on sexual harassment and sexual misconduct in the Handbook of Operating Procedures, Section 4.A.3, and Section 4.B.2.

Smoking Policy

The University of Texas at Austin has adopted a “No Smoking Policy” under Policy 2.A.2 in the Handbook of Operating Procedures. This policy applies to the entire Steve Hicks School of Social Work building.

Software Licensing

It is a violation of federal law to use “copied” software without the appropriate documentation. The school purchases many copies of the most common software and owns site licenses for these.

Taking Equipment off Campus

At times it is necessary to take computers home over the weekend in order to meet a deadline, or to take AV equipment to a conference site. You must have the authorization of the Dean in order to take equipment off-campus. Please contact the Dean’s Administrative Office for the appropriate forms. For additional information, please read UT’s Policy Memorandum 6.101 on the Handbook of Operating Procedures.

Toner Cartridges

If the printer in your suite indicates that it needs a new toner cartridge, please contact the Dean’s Administrative Office. A trick you can use temporarily if a new cartridge is not available is to remove the cartridge, shake it a few times, and reinsert it into the printer. That will prolong the toner cartridge life a little while longer.

UT Identification Card

All faculty and staff are entitled to a university identification card. This photo ID can be obtained at FAC 102 (Flawn Academic Center). Please contact the Dean’s Administrative Office for the necessary paperwork. This card is proof of your status at the university, and facilitates your use of the university library system and other campus facilities. In addition, many local businesses offer discounts to holders of UT IDs. While at the ID Center, please also validate your UT Electronic ID (UT EID). You will need a UT EID for various business transactions you will conduct (web forms, class rosters, etc.).

Use of University Facilities by Outside Groups

The university can be a joint sponsor for an outside group. The policy that governs the use of UT facilities by an outside group is covered in Policy Memorandum 6.103 found on the at Handbook of Operating Procedures.

Use of University Facilities, Equipment or Other Resources

Policy Memorandum 6.101 on the Handbook of Operating Procedures covers this issue.

Visitor Parking Permits

The school does not govern the visitor parking spaces in front of the building (on San Jacinto Blvd.). The spaces are controlled by the University Police. For policies and procedures, please visit the Dean’s Office Administrative Forms page, https://socialwork.utexas.edu/faculty-and-staff/resources/.