BSW and MSSW students meet with academic advisors once each semester for technical advising on topics related to curriculum expectations throughout the program. During these advising meetings, course load, specific classes, choice of program of study, management of work-load, and other related topics are reviewed. Students may meet with program assistant deans and concentration chairs with specific in-depth questions regarding the particular programs, program modifications based on individualized circumstances, and social work program fit. Students should meet with field support staff and members of the clinical faculty with specific in-depth questions regarding field placements and the field education process.
All social work pre-majors and majors are required to meet with their academic advisor at least once per semester prior to registration. Mandatory advising is implemented to monitor degree progress, assist with course scheduling, and make sure students are correctly following the professional sequence. Students are able to schedule advising appointments at any time during the semester to discuss academic and non-academic matters.
Social work students and prospective internal transfers who are enrolled in the current semester should log on to the UT Appointments system for Social Work to schedule an advising appointment. Non-social work students are encouraged to schedule their appointments at the beginning or end of the semester, as advising is restricted to social work majors in the weeks prior to and through registration.
Students are expected to be on time for their advising appointments. If you are 15 minutes late to an appointment, you will be asked to reschedule. If you need assistance with making an appointment through the UT appointments system or you are not authorized to use the system, please contact the Undergraduate Program Coordinator (email@example.com), 512-232-6058.
- Marian Mahaffey, Advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org, 512-471-2935
- Jane Kretzschmar, Assistant Dean for Master’s Programs, email@example.com, 512-471-8209
- Beth Pomeroy, Clinical Concentration Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org, 512-232-3405
- Cal Streeter, Administration and Policy Practice Concentration Chair, email@example.com, 512-471-9246
- Sherry Melecki, Advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org, 512-471-3925
- Cynthia Franklin, Assistant Dean for Doctoral Education, email@example.com, 512-471-0533