Disability Studies is an academic field that is both interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary, examining the experience of disability from a spectrum of “truths.” Most importantly, people living with disability and their experiences are integral to what we learn and understand.
With the Critical Disability Studies Minor (formally called Interdisciplinary Disability Studies Minor), students will have the opportunity to design a broad-based minor by taking courses in various disciplines. Critical Disability Studies Minor (CDI) focuses on how disability is constructed, viewed, and understood culturally, politically, economically, and socially. Students will have the option to focus on an area of interest.
The Critical Disability Studies Minor requires completion of 15 hours of coursework. Coursework for the Critical Disability Studies Minor must be taken for a letter grade and students must earn a minimum grade of a C.
Critical Disability Studies Minor application requirements:
- Minimum UT GPA of 2.00
Critical Disability Studies Minor required courses:
- S W 325 – Foundations of Social Justice
- S W 360K.19 – Social Construction of Disability
- S W 360K.24 – Making Systems Work for People with Disabilities
Two approved electives from the following list:
- ALD 322 – Individual Differences
- ANT 302 – Cultural Anthropology
- ANT 349C – Human Variation
- CSD 306K – Introduction to Communication Sciences and Disorders
- CSD 308K – Perspectives of Deafness
- E 376M – Deviant Bodies: Disability, Race, and Sexuality
- EDP 376T – Disability and Culture in Education
- KIN 352K – Sport and Disability
- KIN 352K – Adapted Fitness and Recreation
- KIN 360 – Programming for People with Disabilities
- NUR 371 – Disability Over the Life Course
- SED 303 – Autism Spectrum Disorder: Truths and Consequences
- S W 360K.20 – Aging and Disability
- S W 360K.27 – Family Support, Self-Determination, and Disability
- S W 360K.28 – Developmental Disabilities and Self Advocacy
- S W 360K.25 – Women and Disability
- S W 360K – Sexuality and Disability
All interested students must apply for admission through the online application. Apply by selecting the option to apply to a “Restricted Minor” -> “Social Work” -> “Interdisciplinary Disability Studies Minors.”
Additional information about the CDI minor can be found here.