The School of Social Work at The University of Texas at Austin offers a Certificate in Public Safety at the undergraduate level.
The Certificate in Public Safety program provides undergraduate social work students with coursework and learning opportunities that prepare them for careers in public safety settings such as law enforcement, fire departments, emergency medical services, and emergency management at the local, state, and national levels.
“We are excited about this new certificate program,” said Allan Cole, senior associate dean for academic affairs in the School of Social Work. “It opens new career possibilities for our students, and it allows social work values—such as commitment to social justice—and social work skills—such as empathic listening—inform positive change in a range of human service contexts.”
A Certificate in Public Safety will be awarded to students whose successful completion of the bachelor in social work program includes six courses with a public safety focus. One of which, requires 120 hours of service learning in an approved public safety setting.
Certificate in Public Safety required courses:
- PSF 311 – Social Work and Public Safety
- S W 325 – Foundations of Social Justice
Three approved electives from the following list:
- S W 311 – Introductory Topics in Social Work (Topic: Introduction to the Criminal Justice System)
- S W 360K – Treatment of Substance Use Disorders
- S W 360K – Social Work Practice with Abused and Neglected Children and their Families
- S W 360K – Advanced Topics in Social and Economic Justice
- S W 360K – Contemporary Issues in Domestic Violence
- S W 360K – Leadership in the Community
- S W 360K – Loss and Grief: Individual, Family, and Cultural Perspectives
- S W 360K – Communication Skills in Interdisciplinary Settings
- S W 360K – Social Work in the Legal System
- S W 360K – Working with Youth Gangs
- S W 360K – Youth, Delinquency, and Juvenile Justice
- S W 360K – Principles of Recovery and Relapse Prevention
- S W 360K – Mental Health Issues in Public Safety
- PSF 360K – Public Safety Field Immersion
For more information, please contact the BSW Programs Team at BSWadvising@austin.utexas.edu or call 512-471-5457.