The Office of the Associate Dean for Equity and Inclusion fosters a diverse and inclusive environment founded on mutual respect, an appreciation of differences, and the dismantling of systems of privilege and oppression.
In working towards equity and inclusion, we recognize that:
- Institutional policies and practices reinforce differential outcomes for historically underrepresented faculty, staff, students, and communities.
- The advancement of our social work mission calls for the presence of diversity in all its forms and specifically from underrepresented groups.
- We intentionally and steadfastly commit to anti-racism and anti-oppression in our practice, scholarship, teaching, and service.
We stand for social justice for individuals and communities facing oppression on the basis of race, ethnicity, nationality, class, religion, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, and/or (dis)ability. We reject all forms of hate, marginalization, discrimination, and violence.
WHO WE ARE
Professor Esther Calzada, Ph.D., is the inaugural Associate Dean of Equity and Inclusion for the Steve Hicks School of Social Work.
Calzada works closely with the Committee for Diversity and Inclusion, which is a group of faculty, staff and student representatives who help shape priorities and carry out programs.
Keep up-to-date with what we are doing through our newsletter, It’s Time, launched in September 2020.
We also support a-loud, an anti-racist, anti-colonial student-run newsletter that shares work by BIPOC voices within the Steve Hicks School of Social Work.
We have launched several strategic initiatives, including faculty and staff trainings on institutional racism; enhancement of our curriculum with more in-depth exploration of Critical Race Theory; more comprehensive mentorship for junior scholars, including postdoctoral fellows and assistant professors; and more comprehensive supports for students from underrepresented groups to boost recruitment and retention in our undergraduate and graduate programs.
In our ongoing efforts, we will continue to work towards equity and inclusion, with an emphasis on the following goals.
- Provide meaningful and ongoing equity and inclusion trainings for faculty and staff.
- Provide opportunities for enriching equity and inclusion in (and out of) the classroom
- Provide comprehensive mentorship to ensure equity for faculty, staff and students.
- Apply metrics for measuring the effectiveness of our initiatives.
- Ensure alignment of our initiatives with existing school policies and practices.