The School of Social follows all UT travel policies as listed in the Handbook of Business Procedures, Part 11. In addition to that, the School has also implemented the following internal policies.
- In order to advance our leadership in the field of social work education and research, the School will sponsor faculty travel to the APM of the Council on Social Work Education and the annual meeting of the Society for Social Work and Research. However, there are some provisos, as outlined in the Dean’s memorandum of September 25, 2012 (link will take you to UT Box, EID protected).
- Because the travel line on the budget has been eliminated, the School has very limited funds for travel. We will attempt to support travel to two conferences a year as long as you are presenting an original paper in both trips. You will be required to submit a Faculty Travel Grant (FTG) to help offset the costs of your trips. FTGs give a maximum total of $1,200/year. IMPORTANT: at the time you submit an FTG, you must also submit a TAR (Travel Authorization Request). Without a TAR, your FTG will not be processed!
- With overnight stay, travelers may be reimbursed for actual meal expenses up to $51 for each full day without receipts (effective May 1, 2016). However, some research accounts do follow State rules. In that case, when traveling in the state of Texas, for some small cities the maximum allowed meal reimbursement is $36 for a full day. You will need to check with your support staff in advance to see if your destination is included in that exception.
- If travelers go over $51/day and need to be reimbursed for the actual meal costs, then the traveler needs to provide itemized receipts for each meal showing traveler’s expenses only. Credit card receipts are not acceptable.
- Reimbursements must be submitted to your support staff no later than 30 days after your return to Austin. Travelers with ongoing personal car trips must submit mileage reimbursements on a monthly basis. After 30 days of travel completion, no reimbursement will be processed.
- All travel reimbursements must be submitted using the web form. No paper forms are needed to be sent to your support staff. Upload everything via the web document. Use the Travel Reimbursement Request form. It’s the last blue button on that page.
Useful Links and Forms
- Concur – Online travel reservations
- Enterprise Car Rental:
Dean’s Office funds – use this link if the Dean’s Office is covering your rental car costs; your travel document ID # will be required.
Research funds – use this link if your research grant is covering your rental car costs; your travel document ID # will be required.
- Faculty Travel Grants
- Foreign currency exchange rate
- Hotel Tax Exempt Form (PDF)
- Mileage Log (XLSX)
- Student travel policy
- Travel Agency Contacts
- Travel Authorization Request (TAR web form)
- Travel reimbursements
- Travel Management Services
- Traveler Checklist (PDF)
- Vehicle Rental Tax Exemption Certificate (PDF)