Classified Staff And A&P Personnel

Classified Staff And A&P Personnel – Faculty And Teaching – Operations

Birthday Leave

In the spirit of the report on the Employee Performance and Development Plan, the Dean initiated a new policy on November 18, 1996, whereby all classified staff may take a half day off on their birthday. Employees may take either the morning or afternoon off in recognition of this historic event. If the big day falls on a weekend, the employee may elect to take either Friday or Monday as their surrogate day. Exact arrangements should be made with the employee’s immediate supervisor, and this information should be forwarded to the Staff Coordinator (Julie Cunniff).


Policy 9.35 in the Handbook of Operating Procedures covers employees’ breaks and rest periods. Please see

Classified Staff

The Dean, through consultation with the Program Directors and Assistant to the Dean and Assistant Dean for Finance, makes all decisions on available classified positions within the School. Furthermore, Policy Memorandum 7.101,, addresses specific issues regarding recruiting procedures of non-teaching personnel. For administrative and professional personnel, Policy Memorandum 7.102 should be referred to for more specific guidelines,

Enrollment in a Class

Policy 7.E.4 of the Handbook of Operating Procedures addresses taking course work during the work day. Please see for complete details.

Longevity Pay

The University of Texas provides longevity pay to employees according to state laws. Policy 7.B.1,, in the Handbook of Operating Procedures details the scheduled amounts based on the years of state service.

New Hire Checklist

The following is a list of things that should be addressed whenever a new faculty or staff person is hired:

  • I-9 form and other required paperwork
  • tour of the building
  • introduction to faculty and staff
  • copier codes
  • long-distance access codes
  • voice mail activation
  • keys
  • ID card
  • information on orientation meetings (Office of Human Resource Services)
  • desk/door name plates
  • supplies

The complete New Employee Checklists are located here:

New Employee Checklist:

Social Security Number Disclosure (PDF)

General Employees Forms

Outside Consultants

Occasionally the School must hire individuals to provide specific services that our own faculty or staff cannot provide. For example, keynote speakers at School-sponsored conferences are hired by the University for a few days so that they can provide their services, have their travel expenses paid for by the School, and possibly receive an honorarium. These individuals are casual employees or independent contractors.

UT defines casual employee as:

An individual who has been determined to be an employee for income tax purposes based on the evaluation of the individual’s relationship with The University and the degree of control over the individual. The term casual employee was created by The University to distinguish this type of employee from regular full, part-time, or temporary University employees appointed through Human Resource Services.

Handbook of Business Procedures:

UT defines an independent contractor as:

An individual who has been determined to be a non-employee for income tax purposes based on the evaluation of the individual’s relationship with The University and the degree of control over the individual.

Handbook of Business Procedures:

Casual Employee or Independent Contractor’s payments are generally handled via an Authorization for Individual Services (formerly known as an APS – Authorization for Professional Services). If you do not have mainframe access to process an AIS, then you need to fill out the old APS form and provide all required information to a staff member who can then process the AIS on the web.


APS: You must complete both the APS and the Independent Contractor Checklist. Incomplete forms will not be processed.

If a paper APS must be submitted, it must have the appropriate signatures before it reaches final approval at the Dean’s Office. Make sure you obtain all other information and required signatures (PI, director, etc.). Then the Designated Final Approver, DFA (Chief Business Officer or Julie Cunniff), can sign the paper APS. No expenses related to a casual employee’s or independent contractor’s services (such as hotel costs) can be paid by the School unless the APS or AIS form is completed in advance and prior to services being rendered. Arrangements should be made as far in advance as possible in order to acquire the proper approvals.

Policy Memorandum 7.205,, contains further information on this topic.

Outside Employment

Outside employment, whether remunerative or not, shall not conflict with or compromise the primary obligations the employee has to the University. Section 9.91 of the Handbook of Operating Procedures,, has the complete policy. Such employment should be reported to, and records kept by, the chairman, director or supervisor. The School uses an Outside Employment form that each employee should complete.

Overtime/Compensatory Policy

Overtime work is usually not available except under certain circumstances, and must be pre-approved by your supervisor and the Dean. If you work in excess of 40 hours in a given week, the extra time may be accrued as compensatory time. Policy 7.F.17 in the Handbook of Operating Procedures covers State compensatory time,

Performance Evaluations

Performance evaluations are completed annually by all classified staff and non-faculty professional staff. These are done by the supervisor and discussed with the individual staff member. Once completed, a copy is forwarded to the Dean. For more instructions and a sample copy of a performance evaluation, please visit the Human Resource Services page, Section 9.95 of the Handbook of Operating Procedures,, also contains more information.

Political Activities

The University affirms the right of a member of the staff to participate in political activities so long as such political activities do not interfere with the discharge of the duties and responsibilities that he/she owes to The University of Texas at Austin, and so long as such political activity does not involve The University of Texas at Austin in partisan politics. Section 9.87 of the Handbook of Operating Procedures has more information. Please refer to

Sick Leave

The University of Texas at Austin provides paid sick leave to employees in accordance with state law. Please refer to policy 7.F.11,, in the Handbook of Operating Procedures.

Staff Coordinator

Julie Cunniff is the Staff Coordinator for the School. Julie (as well as your supervisor) should always be informed if you will be taking any time off. Julie will coordinate coverage for your position should that be necessary. You should also consult Julie regarding any problems you have with your job or with your co-workers.

Time Sheets

Official Time Reports are submitted via the Human Resource Services website at this URL:

Personnel in CSWR should contact their HR Specialist. For Dean’s Office accounts, please see Chief Business Officer for set-up. If you are a supervisor signing on an employee’s time sheet, you will need a high assurance UT EID in order to approve time sheets.

Vacation/Leave Policy

Staff must request permission to take vacation time, floating holiday, accrued compensatory time, jury duty, or military leave. A copy of the “Staff Leave Request Form” can be found in the Dean’s Office Administrative Forms page, The form should be signed by the staff member’s supervisor and forwarded to the Staff Coordinator for final approval by the Dean. Staff members will receive a copy of the approved form. The Staff Coordinator should also be informed if you plan to take a vacation so that adequate coverage can be arranged. The Handbook of Operating Procedures covers annual leave in its Policy 7.F.1. Please refer to

Classified Staff And A&P Personnel – Faculty And Teaching – Operations