Professor and Associate Dean for Research
Catherine Cubbin is professor and associate dean for research in the Steve Hicks School of Social Work, and a faculty research associate at the Population Research Center, The University of Texas at Austin.
Cubbin received her PhD in Health and Social Policy from the Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health in 1998. She was trained as a CDC fellow at the National Center for Health Statistics and completed an NIH postdoctoral fellowship at Stanford University in 2000.
Cubbin’s research focuses on using epidemiological methods to better understand socioeconomic and racial/ethnic inequalities in health for the purpose of informing policy. Specific areas of her research include using contextual analysis to investigate how neighborhood environments may explain social inequalities in health, and the measurement of socioeconomic status/position in studies of racial/ethnic disparities in health. Using national and statewide representative data sets, she has studied social inequalities in injuries, cardiovascular disease, health behaviors, mortality, and maternal, infant, and adolescent health. She has published widely in public health and medical journals, including the American Journal of Public Health, the Journal of the American Medical Association, and the American Journal of Epidemiology.
From 2001-2006, Cubbin was a Health Disparities Scholar through the National Institutes of Health, and since 1997, she has been a coordinating committee member of the Spirit of 1848, a caucus of the American Public Health Association which focuses in issues related to health and social justice.
Cubbin is an associate editor for the Journal Health & Place.
Curriculum Vitae (PDF)
Social epidemiology; social inequalities in health; neighborhood environments and health; conceptualization and measurement of socioeconomic status/position
- Post-doctoral Fellow, Stanford University
- Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University
- B.A., University of Pennsylvania
- Post-doctoral training in promoting health equity in cardiovascular disease (2023)
- Longitudinal neighborhood poverty change and racial disparities in birth outcomes (2018)
- Increasing breast and cervical cancer screening in rural, frontier, and border counties (2017)
- Environmental effects on disparities in smoking and obesity among women (2016)
- Evaluation Plan: Community Transformation Grant (2014)
- Obesity Prevention ARRA Evaluation (2012)
- Vegetables On Wheels: Increasing access to fresh fruits and vegetables in a rural Texas community (2012)
- RWJF Commission to Build a Healthier America (2010)
- Measuring wealth in health disparities research: practical recommendations (2010)
- Texas Teen Opportunity Project (T-TOP) (2010)
RESEARCH PROJECTS WITH THE POPULATION RESEARCH CENTER
Social Work Building (SSW)Room:3.208GA
Mailing AddressThe University of Texas at Austin
Steve Hicks School of Social Work
1925 San Jacinto Blvd 3.208GA
Austin, TX 78712-0358